MERRIT – Two non-profit and charitable organizations in the Fraser-Nicola region are receiving $22,600 so far this year in B.C. Government gaming grants in the human and social services sector announced Fraser-Nicola MLA Jackie Tegart.
Organizations receiving grants include:
- Princeton Posse Junior Hockey Club $15,000
- Merritt Youth & Family Resources Society $7,600
Fraser-Nicola MLA Jackie Tegart – “The local organizations that benefit from the community gaming grants, like the Princeton Posse Junior Hockey Club, go a long way to help to promote healthy minds and bodies. Their work helps create a sense of a community and provides a positive outlet for our youth and families.”
Funding provided to organizations in this latest round of gaming grants supports programs that significantly contribute to the quality of life in the community, including assisting the disadvantaged or distressed, promoting health or enhancing opportunities for youth.
Why this matters:
- Community gaming grants in the human and social services sector benefit food banks, hospice societies, community services, service clubs, counselling programs and organizations that assist people coping with challenging life situations, including addictions, serious injuries or disabilities.
- Every year the Province approves approximately $135 million in community gaming grants for not-for-profit organizations, with the human and social services sector receiving the largest share of this annual funding.
- Over 5,000 local not-for-profit organizations representing virtually every community in British Columbia benefit from this funding every year. These organizations provide invaluable services in their communities.
- Eligible organizations applying for gaming grant funding are distributed across six sectors including: arts and culture; sport; environment; public safety; human and social services; parent and district parent advisory councils.
For more information:
Full application information for community gaming grants is available online at: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/gambling-fundraising/gaming-grants